The National English Honor Society (NEHS) was established in 2011 by Sigma Tau Delta out of Northern Illinois University. It was created to recognize the academic accomplishments of high school students and to encourage their continuing interest in the English language arts.
In October 2014 FCA became a charter member of NEHS and inducted 31 FCA high school students into its organization. Our charter is named the FCA Knights of the Round Table.
NEHS provides a unique opportunity for its members in that they can take advantage of scholarships, compete for national recognition, serve their community, apply for grants and awards, receive academic enrichment, practice leadership skills, and enjoy literary engagement.
Service and time commitments:
Accepted students are required to attend the induction ceremony held in November of each year. In addition, students must maintain the minimum grade point averages established at the time of their acceptance. An audit of their grades will take place in the fall of each year. Students who fall below the minimum grade requirements for two semesters will have their membership suspended.
Accepted students are expected to participate in monthly NEHS meetings during lunch and document an additional two hours of service to the club annually (September - June). These hours may be achieved through attendance and participation in club functions and planning. Students will be expected to join a committee and to be an active participant in that committee including, but not limited to: creative writing websites and blogs, poetry readings, publicity committee, and literacy events.
The criteria for the FCA Knights of the Round Table NEHS Chapter:
- Students must have completed at least two semesters of required English courses with a cumulative English GPA of 3.7 or above
- Students must have an overall cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
- Students are expected to maintain a 4.0 in English while a member of NEHS
- Students are expected to have demonstrated enthusiasm for language arts
- Students should demonstrate reading and writing proficiency
The mission of NEHS:
- Confer national distinction upon secondary school students for high achievement in the English language arts
- Build a national community of academic achievers
- Provide, through local chapters, cultural stimulation in high school environments
- Encourage interest in the English language arts
- Serve society by fostering literacy